The following includes parent, teacher and student responsibilities and detailed information about studio life and policies. Updated January 2019.
Laura’s Thoughts: How I feel about music lessons!
Did I already mention I LOVE teaching piano and cello!! Whether a student becomes a professional musician or just plays occasionally for fun, the discipline of practice and commitment in learning an instrument will bring many future returns. It truly is an investment into a lifetime of enjoying music!
If you haven't read the research of the amazing benefits of music study at an early age see this very informative link
I commit to give my best in helping each student achieve his/her musical goals by :
- Being sensitive to individual personalities,abilities, and learning styles.
- Providing a patient, encouraging and enthusiastic atmosphere for learning.
- Giving all my students the opportunity to explore different types of music such as pop, hymns,jazz, folk, duets and classical music while being attentive to what is their favorite.
- Challenging, motivating , inspiring and hopefully putting a smile on each student’s face!
- Help each student discover his creative spark at the piano/cello
- Build confident,creative, and skilled musicians for life.
Parents: A key to success!
Please know how much I appreciate the opportunity to teach your child and pass on the gift of music! Your active involvement and interest gives your child a great amount of motivation and encouragement. It is essential to achieve a successful musical experience.
Help your child develop self-discipline and good practice habits by setting aside a consistent daily practice time. This is the best way to ensure it is completed daily and progress is made. Also, check your child’s piano/cello notebook weekly, as that will explain in detail what to practice and prepare for lessons. Younger children(5-7) especially need help with practicing and theory books.
The student needs a piano/cello! Keyboards have functional limitations so please communicate to me if this is what you have at home. Please keep your piano in the best possible condition and have it tuned yearly! I have a great tuner to recommend if you need someone! A student also needs a chair or bench at correct height, metronome, and proper lighting in a place allowing quiet (as much as possible !) and uninterrupted practice.
I welcome parents to quietly observe lessons at any time. Always feel free to communicate any encouragements, concerns, and ideas regarding your child’s music studies. Send me an email as I would love to hear from you!
Pictures and videos of my students may be posted on my website or social media with no names attached. Please see studio registration/agreement form (Resources)for more details.
Students: The teacher’s expectations!
Every student is expected to become a concert pianist/cellist NOT!!! Seriously, this is not my expectation but developing each student into an excellent and well-rounded musician is! This means that every student will work on note reading fluency, theory, technique,ear training, musicality, and musicianship. Keyboard skills such as sight reading, composing, improvising, and ensemble playing(duets,trios,2 piano pieces) are included in every student's musical journey.
A student is expected to arrive at each lesson with all music, notebook, and a ready to listen and work hard attitude. I do require diligent practice five days each week but more importantly, that lessons assignments/goals are achieved on a consistent basis. This promotes progress which brings success and then motivation to keep practicing!
Most of all, each student is required to smile, have fun, and hopefully laugh at least once during the lesson!
Tuition: What does your investment cover?
Your monthly tuition covers much more than just the time spent in a weekly lesson. It also includes, but is not limited to:
- Your reserved individual/ group lesson, music class, piano party, performance class
- Teacher’s professional education and extensive experience
- Music teacher helper account
- Piano tuning and repairs on the grand, upright piano, digital keyboard and studio maintenance
- Music library and supplementary music
- Lesson planning
- Supplies for individual& group lessons,piano parties, and performance classes.
- Recital venue rentals, programs and rewards
- Lesson goals and practice incentive programs
- Teacher's professional growth/ training
- Memberships to music organizations and piano music clubs.
Appassionata Studio is : A 12 month studio that runs from September 1,2018 -August 31,2019
- Tuition is invoiced in 12 equal monthly payments. Tuition remains the same each month and is based on enrollment, not attendance.
- The studio is open 32 weeks during the School Year Session and 10 weeks in the Summer Session.
- Tuition reserves your child's lesson time throughout the studio year, whether he/she attends lessons or not.
- Tuition includes individual lessons, performance classes/piano and cello parties during the school year AND the summer session(see options under Summer Session)
- Tuition Monthly Rates:
- 30min $110 monthly
- 45min $140 monthly
- 60min $170 monthly
- Tuition is to be paid by the 6th of each month. A late fee of $15.00 will be assessed after that time.
- Payments can be made by cash, check, Zelle, bank bill pay, or PayPal
- Yearly increases and/ or cost of living may be applied to rates at the beginning of the studio year. There will be no rate changes midyear.
- Annual enrollment /scheduling fee (non-refundable)of $15 per student due each August or anytime during the year when a student joins the studio. This fee is not prorated.
Summer is great time to explore music through camps and workshops! Learning with friends is fun! Longer individual lessons can bring amazing progress too! The studio offers different options to help your child continue musical growth in the summer months!
- Students who are Beginners - Level 2 piano method /Suzuki books taking 30 min individual lessons through the school year will have two options:
1 : Music camp(4days/2 hrs daily) and 4 individual 30 min lessons
2 : 6 individual 45min lessons and 1 mini camp( 2 hours)
- Students who take 45 or 60min lessons during the school year will have two options:
Option 1- 8/45 min or 6/60 min individual lessons
2- 4/45 or 4/60 min individual lessons and 1 music camp/workshop
- Students in group piano lessons during the school year will take a music camp and 4 group piano lessons.
- Students taking 2 / 45 min lessons per month during the school have the option of taking 6 individual lessons.
♪Without summer participation,there becomes no guarantee of a spot available the next studio year.
♪Due to the number of weeks the studio provides for family vacations and activities, there will be NO reschedules or credits.
Lesson Attendance: Be consistent!
The student’s lesson time is expected take priority in your weekly schedule. This communicates to your child how important you feel piano lessons are. It is a waste of my time and your money if lessons are missed on a consistent basis. Some important considerations include:
- Each student taking individual weekly lessons is required to participate 1x monthly in a performance class or a Piano Party. Students are grouped together based on many variables including age, playing level, and where the teacher feels the student will be most productive and successful. These 60 minute classes primarily focus on theory games, ear training, performing for one another, music history, and having musical fun with friends!
- Students taking 2 lessons per month are required to participate in 4 performance/theory classes during the school year.
- Students are expected to arrive punctually with lesson binder, and ALL books. Lesson time will not be extended to accommodate tardiness.
- In becoming part of my studio, you are committing to a full 12 month Studio Year . Those students beginning later in the year are expected to commit through the remaining months of the studio year.
- A 30 day advanced notification is required in the event lessons need to be discontinued. In addition, an early termination fee of $100 will be assessed for breaking the studio policy agreement.
- Students waiting for lessons may play inside(designated areas) and enjoy the backyard play fort and trampoline. Please be aware that this is unsupervised and that parents take full responsibility for their child during this time.
- Please do not arrive more than 5 min early or be over 5 min late unless you have made special arrangements with me . Sometimes I have to leave directly after a lesson to other activities and cannot wait with a child until a parent arrives. Please make note if you are late, your child might be left unsupervised.
Missed Lessons: What happens then?
Because specific times are set aside for specific students, a student who does not attend a lesson will simply miss the benefit of that lesson. Your tuition reserves your weekly time slot and benefits within the studio. There are no make up lessons when a student cancels. Please be assured that your tuition pays for far more than the time spent with your student (see "What Does My Tuition Cover?"). However, I understand that some conflicts are unavoidable, and offer several options for when a lesson must be missed:
- Phone, Facetime, or Skype lessons during the student’s regular lesson time are an option for those that are mildly sick, for inclement weather, or for extended vacations
- Weekly students have TWO BONUS individual lessons built into the school year schedule that are not billed (included in tuition payments). Students attending all lessons scheduled on the studio calendar will have received 2 free lessons by the end of May.
- Twice Monthly students have the option of attending an extra performance class in place of a missed individual lesson.
- Swap a lesson with another student! Names, email addresses, and lesson times are available upon request. If you prefer NOT to be on the swap list, notify me. Please make sure you know the length of lesson time you are swapping! Swaps can only be made with equal lesson lengths.(30min for 30min, 45min for 45min, etc.) Only the already scheduled time slot will be honored. I must be notified 24 hrs in advance of the swap so I can adequately prepare for the student who is coming at that time. If two students arrive at the same lesson, the student already scheduled in that time slot will be given the lesson.
- Reschedule a lesson WITHIN the same week if one is available. This option involves the opportunity to use other students canceled lessons. These will be available first come,first serve on the calendar and must be registered by the student 24 hours in advance and then approved by the teacher.
- A 24-hour advance notice is required when a lesson will be missed, regardless of circumstances. Lessons missed without notice cannot be rescheduled, or credited to your account.
- The teacher reserves the right to send an ill student home from lesson. If a child is too ill to attend school, then he/she is too ill to have a lesson. Leave those germs at home! If your child comes home ill from school on a lesson day, please text me asap.
- Performance classes, piano parties, music classes and group piano lessons cannot be made up or credited to your account.
- Any lessons canceled by the teacher will be rescheduled or credited to your account
Lesson Evaluation: A valuable tool!
A written evaluation (either teacher prompted or parent requested) may be given annually to assess your child’s progress in many different areas: promptness, technique, theory, lesson preparation, practice and attitude. It is my hope these can be a valuable and insightful tool to help your child achieve greater success at the piano. Lessons may be terminated by the teacher in the event of an unsatisfactory evaluation, repeated failure to reach practice agreement and/or fulfill set goals for the quarter/year. However, every effort will be made to discuss these issues and find solutions with both the parent(s) and student for renewed progress.
Music Library/ Supplies: A BIG Savings for you!
This is available for supplementary music and supplies that do not need purchasing by the student (excluding the student’s main lessons books, metronome and flashcards). This library includes music/supplies for lessons, group lessons, sight reading and repertoire, technique sheets, etc., that is given to each student throughout the year. Most students borrow 3-5 music books each year! Please use these materials with care as younger siblings and pets can do them great damage! Music and supplies that are ruined or lost will be replaced at cost by the student.
Performance Opportunities: A time for sharing the gift of music!
I encourage students to perform and play for family, friends, community/educational/church activities as much as possible throughout the year. Sharing the gift of music is a wonderful opportunity to bless and inspire others!
- There are two required student recitals each year – Fall and Spring. Details TBA
- Recitals are planned and scheduled months in advance which students spend several weeks to months practicing in preparation.
- They are important to your child's musical growth and help build community within the studio.
- If for some reason your child has extreme performance anxiety(being nervous is normal and not considered anxiety), please speak to me in advance. We will find some way to have your child participate and feel a part of the recital even if not performing.
- Some students will memorize their pieces, others will not. The teacher will decide the appropriate performance expectation for each student.
- Competitions,piano festivals, and student achievement exams(AIM) are available for student participation based on teacher's assessment of student readiness and also parent support. Fees associated with these events are the student's responsibility.
Contact me: I'd love to hear from you!
If you have any questions about this information, or need to leave a message concerning lessons, your child’s progress, etc., I can be reached via my contact page or by phone (call or text) 801-455-5539. Please leave a voice mail if you want me to respond by phone call and I will get back to you as soon as possible.